Bracknell Forest Council is one of six unitary authorities
that took over responsibilities when Berkshire County
Council was abolished on 1 April 1998.
The borough of Bracknell Forest includes the towns of
Bracknell and Sandhurst as well as the parishes of
Binfield, Warfield, Winkfield and Crowthorne.
Bracknell Forest has one of the highest densities of
trees in any local authority with forest and woodland
accounting for 39% of land cover.
The Green Belt covers approximately 35% of the Borough
in the north and east with a general presumption against
The Windsor Forest and Great Park Special Area of
Conservation (SAC) and Thames Basin Heaths Special
Protection Area (SPA) are important, protected wildlife
areas that limit development in many parts of the borough.
The 2011 Census identified 113,205 permanent residents
in 47,039 households.
Like most boroughs in the region, there is continued
pressure for further residential developments with large
scale building of new homes in many parts of the borough.
Bracknell is the main urban area in the Borough. Following
its New Town designation in 1949, it developed rapidly in
the 1950s and 1960s based on a number of neighbourhoods
each with its own centre including shops, a primary
school, a community centre, a public house and in some
instances a church. Great importance was attached to the
provision of open space.The Town Centre and employment
areas were segregated from the residential neighbourhoods.